If you are one of the millions of Americans who suffer from back pain, consider visiting the specialists at NJ Spine and Orthopedic. Our offices near Edison, New Jersey offer minimally invasive surgeries and non-surgical methods to help eliminate the pain caused by numerous conditions of the back and neck. Our board-certified doctors will diagnose and remedy your condition using the latest research and state-of-the-art technology.
Why Does My Back Hurt?
Back pain can occur from a variety of different conditions. Examples include working out or lifting too much, prolonged sitting and lying down, or sleeping in an uncomfortable position. However, back pain can also develop without a cause, which can easily be identified through tests or image monitoring. Some common conditions linked to back pain are:
- Muscle or ligament strain: Repetitive heavy lifting or a sudden awkward movement can strain back muscles and spinal ligaments. If you’re in poor physical condition, putting too much strain on your back can cause painful spasms.
- Spinal stenosis: Spinal stenosis can put stress on your spinal cord and the nerves within the spine. This condition occurs when the opening of the spinal cord begins to narrow, reducing space for spinal nerves. Spinal stenosis is most often found in older adults.
- Herniated or slipped disc: A slipped or herniated disc occurs when the inner disc punctures through the outer ring. This can cause severe pain and discomfort in your lower back.
Even though some back pain can come from personal injury, health factors like obesity, stress, and inflammatory conditions are also common causes.
When Should I See a Doctor About My Back Pain?
The good news is that most back pain will resolve itself in a few weeks without treatment. Some ways to decrease the possibility of back pain occurring are exercising, building muscles, and maintaining a healthy weight.
While it may be tempting to stay in bed with back pain, it won’t help you get better faster. Instead, when your back starts to hurt, try taking aspirin to reduce the pain. However, schedule a doctor’s appointment right away if you are experiencing these symptoms:
- A fever
- Weight loss
- Pain, numbness, or tingling in one or both legs
- Loss of bladder or bowel function
Serious back pain also may be a sign of a more serious medical condition such as cancer. If you have a family history of serious health conditions, you should seek medical attention when pain begins.
Expert Spine Surgeons in Edison, New Jersey
If you’re suffering from back pain and live in Edison, visit NJ Spine and Orthopedic today to receive expert medical care. We use non-invasive surgical methods that reduce pain, decrease trauma, and provide faster recovery so you can get back on your feet as soon as possible. We offer non-surgical procedures as well.
Whether your condition is minor or more serious, our team is well-versed in pain management and will be with you every step of the way as you look to manage your pain and recover your functionality. Our experts are sure to find a treatment plan that’s best for you. Call us today at (866) 272-9271 or fill out our contact form.