Many of us don’t think about it, but our spine supports and protects our bodies throughout the day. It is central to nearly every movement we make and a very important part of the body.
Here are 7 amazing facts about the human spine:
- At birth our spine consists of 33 individual vertebrae, several of which fuse together to form 24 vertebrae during our lifetimes.
- The spine is so flexible it can bend far enough to form two thirds of a circle.
- The spine has 5 main sections, they are: Cervical, Thoracic, Lumbar, Sacrum and Coccyx.
- There are over 120 muscles located throughout the spine.
- Back pain is one of the most common ailments in America with over 80% of the population experiencing it sometime in their lives.
- There are over 100 joints in the spine which allow for its fluid movement.
- Over 25% of the spine’s length comes from the cartilage separating spinal vertebrae.
Other Interesting Facts About Spine Injuries
If you like learning interesting facts about your spine, you may also want to learn more about spine injuries. The following are useful pieces of information about the spine and potential injuries:
- Spine injuries can often lead to para- or quadriplegia, so you should seek medical attention as quickly as possible if you think you have one
- These can be treated in many more ways than you might initially think, including surgical procedures that are minimally invasive
- It’s common to get spine injuries after a vehicular accident, so prioritizing safety on the road is a great way to prevent unnecessary injury
- Men are far more likely to face spinal injuries than women, as approximately 78% of spine injuries occur in men
- The spine is connected to the brain and other nerve endings, so neurologists and spine experts often work together
- Spine injuries can easily impact other areas of your body, including your ability to hear and walk
There are several interesting facets within our knowledge of spines and their potential injuries. If you think you have a spinal injury, seeking medical attention as soon as possible is a great way to mitigate negative effects on your body and quality of life.
How to Get Treatments for Your Spine Injuries
You can get spine treatments for your injuries relatively easily, as you can go into your doctor’s office or visit a spine specialist for an assessment. During assessments, your medical provider will administer numerous tests to determine what issues you might have and what might be triggering certain symptomatic responses in the body. Following an assessment, you can get a referral to a spine specialist or go over a list of potential treatment options, depending on who does the initial check.
You can avoid unnecessary obstacles during the healing process by working with a spine specialist and surgeon directly, as they will have the experience and understanding necessary to identify issues quickly and make recommendations. Your surgeon will be able to determine whether you will benefit from very conservative treatment options, like medicine and physical therapy. If necessary, your spine specialist can also help you explore minimally invasive surgery options that are effective at reducing pain and discomfort.
Receive Valuable Help From the Surgeons at NJ Spine & Orthopedic
If you believe you have a spinal cord injury, you don’t need to handle this hardship alone. Our surgeons can accompany you through every step of the healing process, from assessment, to procedures and treatments, to recovery. Patients trust us to bring them quality help and excellent results during their challenging times, and we can do the same for you.
If you are experiencing back pain or have a spinal condition and are seeking treatment, call 866-553-0612 to schedule a consultation with a spine specialist from NJ Spine and Orthopedic. Our team is looking forward to speaking with you and supporting you during your health journey.