7 Spine Tingling Facts About The Spine
Many of us don’t think about it, but our spine supports and protects our bodies throughout the day. It is central to nearly every movement we make and a very important part of the body.
Here are 7 amazing facts about the human spine:
- At birth our spine consists of 33 individual vertebrae, several of which fuse together to form 24 vertebrae during our lifetimes.
- The spine is so flexible it can bend far enough to form two thirds of a circle.
- The spine has 5 main sections, they are: Cervical, Thoracic, Lumbar, Sacrum and Coccyx.
- There are over 120 muscles located throughout the spine.
- Back pain is one of the most common ailments in America with over 80% of the population experiencing it sometime in their lives.
- There are over 100 joints in the spine which allow for its fluid movement.
- Over 25% of the spine’s length comes from the cartilage separating spinal vertebrae.