Laser Spine Surgeon in Paramus, NJ
Laser spine surgery is an advanced surgical technique that utilizes a guided laser to remove or treat affected tissue in various spinal conditions. This minimally-invasive surgical procedure has transformed the spinal surgery field by offering a safe and effective alternative to traditional open spine operations.
Finding an accredited neurosurgeon with the necessary skills to perform this procedure helps lower the risk of surgery complications and increases the chances of favorable outcomes. When researching spine doctors in Paramus, NJ, consider the surgeon’s experience, credentials, board certification, success rate, and patient testimonials. This way, you’ll receive the best possible care and be confident about achieving optimal results from the surgery. Our skilled team at NJ Spine & Orthopedic can help you get the laser spine surgery in Paramus you need to help reduce pain and get back to everyday life.
Common Types of Minimally-Invasive Laser Spine Surgeries
Minimally-invasive laser spine surgery in Paramus is a type that employs a laser to treat spinal conditions. It’s a better alternative to traditional surgical procedures, which usually involve large incisions, longer hospital stays, and extended recovery times. NJ Spine & Orthopedic offers different types of minimally-invasive laser spine surgeries, and the most common include:
- Transforaminal Lumbar Interbody Fusion (TLIF): This can help treat spondylolisthesis, degenerative disc disease, or recurrent disc herniation. The connecting disc is removed, and a bone cage is inserted into the void to stabilize the affected vertebrae.
- Laser Discectomy: This is performed to relieve pain caused by herniated or bulging discs in the spinal cord. The surgery removes the damaged portion of the disc, effectively relieving spin or nerve compression.
- Facet Thermal Ablation: This can help relieve chronic back pain due to spinal arthritis or facet joint disease by inserting a small tube through a half an inch incision in the back to remove the damaged tissue.
- Laser Disc Decompression: This helps treat herniated or bulging discs leading to back, leg, or arm pain. It involves using a laser to shrink the damaged portion of the disc to relieve pressure on the spinal cord or nerves.
Patients should consult with a spinal cord specialist to determine whether Paramus laser spine surgery is right for them.
Advantages of Laser Spine Surgery
Minimally-invasive spine surgery aims to stabilize the vertebral bones and spinal joints. It also helps relieve pressure on the spinal nerves, commonly caused by bone spurs, spinal instability, herniated discs, tumors, or scoliosis. These procedures are considered faster and safer, requiring shorter recovery time than open spine surgery, thanks to less muscle and soft tissue trauma. Patients also can benefit in the following ways:
- Paramus Laser spine surgery is often done as an outpatient procedure under local anesthesia. This means patients will most likely leave the hospital on the same day as their surgery.
- When performing laser spine surgery, surgeons only need to make incisions. Minimal trauma to the body translates to less postoperative pain.
- Smaller incisions provide numerous benefits, including near-invisible scars, less blood loss, and a lower risk of infection.
- Though it will be several weeks before they can engage in physically strenuous activities, most patients return to normal activities within a few weeks of surgery.
Note that recovery from a minimally-invasive laser spine surgery in Paramus, NJ can take four to six weeks with activity modification, diet, and physical therapy. The NJ Spine & Orthopedic spine specialist team will work closely with you to create a treatment plan based on your unique medical needs.
Conditions That Can Be Treated With Laser Spine Surgery
Laser spine surgery can be used to treat a variety of spinal conditions, including:
- Herniated or bulging discs that press on nerves in the spine
- Spinal stenosis, which is a disorder that puts pressure on the spine and nearby nerves due to a narrowing of the spinal canal. Laser spine procedures aid in the removal of excess tissue and bone that causes the narrowing.
- Sciatica, which a common spinal cord condition characterized by leg pain with numbness and tingling. Laser spine surgery in Paramus can be employed to relieve nerve pressure that causes these symptoms.
- Degenerative disc disease, which occurs when the discs between the vertebrae in the spine begin to break down, culminating in radiating pain that worsens with activity. Laser surgery helps remove damaged disc material to alleviate pain.
- Bone spurs, which are bony growths that develop on the spine and cause pain. A laser spine procedure can be used to remove the spurs and relieve nerve compression.
Not all spinal cord disorders, infections, or diseases can be treated with laser spine surgery. A thorough physical evaluation and tests conducted by a qualified spine specialist are necessary to determine the best treatment.
Consult the Paramus Spine Specialists at NJ Spine & Orthopedic Today
If you’re experiencing back pain, a spine specialist can offer advice on which surgery might be an option to help alleviate your discomfort and get back to your daily routine. Our commitment at NJ Spine & Orthopedic is to provide comprehensive care for all types of spine diseases by using cutting-edge techniques to diagnose and treat each patient’s unique situation. Our Concierge Team can help manage all aspects of your appointments and treatment plans to help ensure a smooth process as well.
You’ll have access to the latest advancements in spinal care and a customized treatment plan to help you start a pain-free life. Don’t let spine pain control your life any longer. Call us at (866) 553-0612 or schedule a consultation by filling out our online contact form.