More than 31 million Americans suffer from back pain, making it one of the most common medical conditions. When you’re experiencing discomfort in your back, neck, or spine, turn to the board-certified spine surgeons at New Jersey Spine & Orthopedic. Our doctors treat various conditions through conservative healing methods and minimally invasive surgery to eliminate back pain and encourage a speedy recovery.
For help determining where your pain is coming from, take our free Pain Assessment Tool. If you already know the cause of your discomfort, discover treatment options best for you through our Treatment Finder. Do you have an MRI scan? Our doctors provide free MRI reviews!
Why Does My Back Hurt?
Back pain is a symptom rather than a condition, so the culprit behind yours is likely different from the next person’s. Some common reasons why your back is causing you discomfort could include:
- Spinal stenosis puts stress on the spinal cord and nerves within the spine. It occurs when the spinal cord narrows and constricts the nerves.
- Sciatica is caused by a herniated disc or bone spur pressing on the sciatic nerve, which runs down both legs.
- Herniated discs occur when the inner disc punctures the outer ring. This will cause severe pain in your lower back.
- Degenerative disc disease is when the discs between your vertebrae begin to shrink or tear, causing the bones to rub together.
Other factors, such as weight, stress, and inflammation, can cause pain as well.
How to Treat Back Pain at Home
Most back pain will go away on its own within a few weeks. However, there are ways you can reduce your discomfort at home, such as:
- Heat and ice packs: Heat reduces stiffness, while ice reduces swelling. Try switching between the two to see what your body reacts to the best. In most cases, alternating both for about 15 minutes each will work the best.
- Light exercise: Sitting on the couch all day will only increase your pain, so moving around is essential. Try going for a 30-minute walk and then do some light stretching.
- Healthy diet: By keeping a healthy body weight, you’re reducing the amount of pressure on your spine.
- Good posture: Most people experience back pain from slouching. Stand and sit up straight with your head sitting evenly between your shoulders.
Remember, if your pain persists or increases, contact your doctor. If you have a family history of severe medical conditions, such as cancer or diabetes, seek medical attention at the onset of your pain.
When Should I See a Doctor about Back Pain?
When you’re experiencing pain in your back, neck, or spine and notice any of the following, schedule a doctor’s appointment immediately.
- Unexplained weight loss
- Loss of bowel movements
- Weakness in your arms or legs
- Tingling or numbness in your legs
Likewise, if you were recently in an accident, such as a car crash, call a physician. You might feel physically fine, but you may have internal injuries a doctor can then diagnose.
Reach Out to the Skilled Back Doctors in Brentwood, New York
If you’re suffering from back pain and live near Brentwood, New York, visit your local NJ Spine & Orthopedic branch to receive expert medical care. Our award-winning team of neurologists, neurosurgeons, and orthopedic specialists have experience helping patients reduce pain and improve mobility. No matter your condition, we will do everything to get you back to the life you enjoyed before your pain.
When you first partner with us, a doctor will work with you one-on-one to determine what’s causing you discomfort. We will then develop a plan specific to your condition. Call us today at (866) 272-9271 or complete our contact form.