When you need to relieve your back, neck, or spine pain, reach out to the board-certified doctors at New Jersey Spine & Orthopedic. Our offices near Cheektowaga, New York, will provide you with top-of-the-line treatment from a team of award-winning neurologists, neurosurgeons, and orthopedic specialists.
If you’re having trouble determining where your pain is coming from, use our Pain Assessment Tool. If you already know the root of your discomfort, discover treatment options best for you through our Treatment Finder. Our team also offers free MRI scan reviews.
No matter your condition, the team at NJ Spine & Orthopedic is here to help you!
Why Does My Back Hurt?
Back pain is among the most common medical conditions. In fact, more than 31 million Americans suffer from some type of back pain. Some common causes of discomfort include:
- Degenerative disc disease: As we age or suffer back injuries, deteriorating spinal conditions such as arthritis and spinal stenosis can affect our daily lives with constant pain and difficulty when moving around.
- Bulging discs: Discs may bulge when the soft center pushes through a crack in the exterior casing.
- Spinal stenosis: The older we become, the more our spinal canal narrows. This adds pressure to the spine and nerves.
- Herniated discs: When the inner disc punctures the outer ring, you’ll likely feel discomfort in your lower back.
You might also experience back pain from a personal injury accident or by pulling a muscle. Some ways to decrease the chance of pain forming include light stretching and maintaining a healthy weight.
Do I Have to See a Doctor for My Back Pain?
Fortunately, most discomfort will go away on its own. With a healthy dose of exercise and rest, you should be back on your feet within a few weeks. Nevertheless, it’s important to monitor your symptoms. You should immediately seek medical attention if you experience any of the following:
- Numbness or tingling
- Unexplained weight loss
- Loss of bowel and bladder control
These symptoms could be a sign of more serious health conditions, such as cancer. Similarly, if you have a family history of health problems, seek medical attention at the onset of your pain.
Treating Back Pain without Surgery
At NJ Spine & Orthopedic, our doctors will always utilize surgery as a last resort. Below are just some of the options we may use to ease your discomfort.
- Physical therapy: Exercise is the most common treatment for back pain, and it’s one of the first treatments our doctors will try. While not all exercises work for everyone, some of the most common include strategies include retraining your posture and strengthening your core.
- Heating pads and ice packs: Alternating between heating and cooling pads is a great way to reduce your pain. Heat can reduce any stiffness, while ice can help reduce swelling.
- Meditation: Back pain can be straining, both physically and mentally. Your doctor may recommend yoga or meditation to take your mind off of the pain.
- Diet: Diets that are high in trans fat, refined sugar, and processed foods are highly inflammatory and can put unneeded weight on your back and spine. Keeping a healthy weight can reduce that pressure and alleviate back pain.
If a doctor deems surgery the best course of action, we will utilize the latest techniques in minimally invasive procedures. Some benefits to these types of procedures include reduced pain, increased accuracy, and shorter recovery time.
Choose the Expert Back Doctors in Cheektowaga
Don’t let back pain control your life. Call the skilled back doctors in Cheektowaga, New York, today to regain the life you once enjoyed before your pain. From minimally invasive techniques to more conservative healing methods, the doctors at NJ Spine & Orthopedic will do everything they can to eliminate your back pain.
Call (866) 272-9271 or complete a contact form to learn more about our services today!