NJ Spine and Orthopedic is excited to support the community of Clarkstown, New York by providing access to top-notch orthopedic care. At NJSO, our team of orthopedic and spine experts uses both conservative and surgical approaches for effectively treating back and neck conditions. Using the most advanced research, treatments, and technology, our doctors tailor each treatment plan to meet the unique needs of our patients. If you are struggling with back pain in Clarkstown, NY, our team is here to help you tackle your pain and regain your quality of life.
What to Know About Back Pain
Back pain is one of the most common reasons people visit their primary care doctor and call out of work. In America, approximately 90% of people will have back pain during their lives. Back pain can occur in the upper, mid, or lower back. However, the majority of people experience pain in the lumbar or lower back.
There are many moving parts that work together to keep your back healthy. Joints, ligaments, nerves, discs, and vertebra are just a few of the structural components of the back. When damage occurs to any of these pieces, it can manifest as back pain. Back pain can be caused by a variety of factors, which can make it challenging to pinpoint the exact cause of pain. Often, a person’s pain is caused by a combination of factors. While there are many culprits of back pain, some of the most common include:
- Herniated discs. When a disc becomes dislodged out of its normal position, it is referred to as a herniated or slipped disc. A herniated disc can put pressure on the surrounding spinal nerves, causing severe pain and discomfort.
- Degenerative disc disease. When discs shrink or tear, it can cause the bones in your back to rub together, resulting in degenerative disc disease.
- Spinal stenosis. When the bony openings in your back start to narrow it reduces the space for your spinal nerves, resulting in spinal stenosis. Over time, this narrowing causes the spinal nerves or cord to compress, causing pain and tingling.
- Pinched nerves. When pressure is applied to a nerve by surrounding tissues, it can become “pinched,” causing pain, tingling, or numbness in your back or down your legs.
- Accidents and injuries. Sports injuries, car accidents, and other accidents can all cause damage to the back.
This is not a comprehensive list of back pain causes and ultimately, the best way to understand the cause of your pain is to see a spine specialist.
Taking Proactive Measures Can Help Prevent Back Problems
While back pain can seem inevitable, there are many ways to be proactive about preventing back pain. Maintaining a healthy weight, exercising regularly, and keeping an overall healthy lifestyle can be extremely effective at both improving and preventing back pain. Yoga is a great tool for both strengthening and stretching your back muscles. Additionally, conducting core strengthening exercises is essential for spine health, as a strong core will take pressure off your spine and back muscles.
Many people’s jobs require them to sit all day, which can quickly wreak havoc on your back. Investing in an ergonomic workstation, such as a chair that supports your lumbar and a standing desk, is one of the best ways to combat lower back pain. Additionally, working to keep a good posture while walking, watching TV, or lifting heavy objects can also help to prevent back pain.
Finding Effective Solutions for Your Back Pain
At NJSO, we are dedicated to helping our patients find an effective solution for their pain. Our approach always starts with trying conservative methods, as the large majority of back pain can be effectively treated with physical therapy, massage, and lifestyle changes. However, when these methods are not helpful, we may pursue other options. Some of the cutting-edge procedures and treatments we offer for back pain include:
- Laser spine surgery
- Complex spinal revision surgery
- TENS Therapy
These are just a few of the many treatment options we offer. You can check out our Treatment Finder for more details on the various treatments we offer.
The Best Spine Surgeons in Clarkstown, NY
At NJ Spine and Orthopedic, we are dedicated to treating your back pain and helping you improve your quality of life. Our team of board-certified neurologists, neurosurgeons, and orthopedic specialists work together to treat spine and back disorders using minimally invasive techniques. At NJSO, we pride ourselves on our ability to orchestrate personalized care plans and the latest advancements in technology to serve the unique needs of our patients.