NJ Spine and Orthopedic is excited to support the community of Islip, New York by providing access to top-notch orthopedic care. At NJSO, our orthopedic specialists use minimally invasive laser spine surgeries and other conservative methods to heal the pain caused by back and neck conditions. Our award-winning team of spine doctors offers the latest research, technology, and advancements for neck and back pain treatment. If you are struggling with back pain in Islip, New York, our surgeons are here to help you tackle your pain and regain your quality of life.
What Causes Back Pain?
Over 30 million Americans suffer from back pain. Back pain is the leading cause of job-related disability and in the U.S. is the most common culprit of missed workdays. In short, if you are dealing with chronic back pain, you are not alone.
The back is composed of an intricate system of bones, joints, muscles, and ligaments—all of which are susceptible to injury or damage. When these moving parts are compromised, it can manifest as back pain. In addition, health conditions like inflammatory diseases, stress, and obesity can cause back pain and complicate recovery. Back pain can arise as a result of many conditions. However, some of the most common causes of back pain include the following:
- Herniated or slipped discs occur when the inner portion of a disc protrudes through the outer layer. This can compress your spinal nerves, causing severe pain and discomfort.
- Degenerative disc disease occurs when the discs in between your vertebrae shrink or tear, causing the bones in your back to rub together.
- Spinal stenosis occurs when the bony openings in your back begin to narrow, reducing the space in between your spinal nerves. Over time, this narrowing can cause your spinal nerves or cord to compress, which can cause pain and tingling.
- Pinched nerves occur when too much pressure is applied to a nerve by surrounding tissues, causing pain, tingling, or numbness in your back or down your legs.
- Accidents and injuries. Bad falls, car accidents, and other traumatic accidents can all cause back pain.
This is not a comprehensive list and back pain can arise from a wide variety of underlying conditions or lifestyle factors. The best way to understand the specific cause of your pain is to schedule an appointment with a spine doctor.
When to See a Spine Doctor in Islip
Back pain symptoms can range from mild muscle aches to sharp, shooting sensations in your lower back. Every person’s pain is unique, which is why it can be extremely beneficial to see a doctor. For some, back pain will resolve with conservative, at-home remedies, such as taking over-the-counter medicines and investing in an ergonomic chair. However, other people will experience chronic back pain that does not resolve without medical intervention. If your pain persists for more than a month, it’s a good idea to seek medical attention. Additionally, you should see a doctor if your pain is accompanied by any of the following symptoms or conditions:
- Does not improve with rest and continues to cause severe discomfort
- Causes feelings of numbness or tingling in your legs
- Is accompanied by a fever, bladder problems, or unexplained weight loss
- Is the result of a serious fall or injury, such as a car accident
In some cases, back pain can signal a more serious underlying medical condition, such as cancer. If you have a family history of cancer, you should seek medical attention at the onset of your back pain.
Consult a Spine Doctor to Conquer Your Back Pain
At NJ Spine and Orthopedic, our surgeons are dedicated to helping our patients find the best treatment for their pain. Using both conservative and surgical options for pain treatment, our orthopedic doctors provide patients with a personalized plan for back pain management. Some of the cutting-edge procedures that we offer include:
- Laser spine surgery
- Complex spinal revision surgery
- Stem cell therapy
- Platelet-rich plasma injections
- Radiofrequency ablation
These are just a few of the many treatment options we offer for back and neck pain. When you schedule an appointment with one of our doctors, they will advise you on the best course of action for your situation. You can check out our Treatment Finder for more details on the options you might have.
The Best Spine Surgeons in Islip, NY
At NJ Spine and Orthopedic, we are dedicated to treating your back pain and helping you improve your quality of life. Our team of board-certified neurologists, neurosurgeons, and orthopedic specialists work together to treat spine and back disorders using minimally invasive techniques. At NJSO, we pride ourselves on our ability to orchestrate personalized care plans and the latest advancements in technology to serve the unique needs of our patients.