Experiencing back pain can be debilitating and can prevent individuals from carrying out their daily lives. With nearly 65 million Americans reporting experiencing back pain at some point in their lives, this issue is not uncommon. Suffering from back pain can make it difficult for people to do the things they love, like playing a sport, going for walks, or even doing their jobs. While back pain can be alleviated through home care and rest in most cases, if the pain persists or worsens after a few weeks, it may be time to consult a doctor. If you are experiencing debilitating back or spine pain, contact a Kearny, New Jersey back and spine doctor to get help deciding what treatment plan is best for you.
The board-certified surgeons and doctors at NJ Spine & Orthopedic have extensive experience helping patients who are experiencing unresolved back and spine pain. Identifying the true cause of back or spine issues can be complex, but with the help of our team of specialists, it is not impossible. At NJ Spine & Orthopedic, we understand that surgery is not always the best option. That is why we will always review all non-surgical treatment options before suggesting surgery. However, with our minimally invasive surgical techniques, we are proud to offer patients relief from their pain without the pain, discomfort, and dysfunction that often results from traditional surgical methods.
What Are Common Causes of Back Pain?
There are many different ways that a person can suffer from back pain or spinal discomfort. While some forms of back pain are more severe than others, it is important to remember that if your pain does not lessen after several weeks of rest and home care, it is crucial that you seek the option of a medical professional. Some of the most common causes of back pain include:
- Pulled Muscle or Tendon: People can put a strain on their backs in many different ways. Whether you are sleeping in an odd position, lifting heavy objects, or working out incorrectly, you may accidentally pull a muscle or tendon, which can lead to tightness or spasms in your back.
- Inflammation: Inflammation can occur as a result of an injury or disease and cause severe pain in your back. If left untreated, inflammation can lead to chronic pain or discomfort.
- Arthritis: Often associated with stiffness and swelling, arthritis is a disease that can affect the joints of your back.
- Osteoporosis: This disease causes bone mass to decrease, especially in the spine. The decrease in bone mass weakens the spine and can lead to painful fractures.
- Herniated or Ruptured Discs: This issue is more prevalent in people as they age and can cause debilitating pain if left untreated.
- Poor Posture: Your spine supports your entire body, so when you slouch, it can put stress on the spine resulting in pain.
- Obesity: Excessive weight gain can cause your back muscles to have to work extra hard, causing soreness and discomfort. Obesity can also put stress on your spine.
If you are suffering from back pain or spine discomfort and are unsure of the cause, the professionals at NJ Spine & Orthopedic may be able to help.
Daily Habits to Prevent Back Pain
If you have experienced back pain in the past, there are daily habits you can implement into your routine to prevent that pain from returning. Some ways you can prevent back pain are to:
- Do core strengthening exercises
- Keep good posture
- Avoid lifting heavy loads
- Exercise and eat healthy
If you are doing all of these healthy habits to avoid developing back pain but are still experiencing discomfort, it may be time to speak to a back and spine specialist regarding what treatment plan may be best for you.
What Are Back and Spine Treatments Offered in Kearny, New Jersey?
Just as there are varying degrees of back pain and injuries, the same can be said for the many different types of minimally invasive surgical treatments that are available to patients at NJ Spine & Orthopedic. There are two different categories of treatments in regards to back and spine issues.
Non Surgical Treatments
Before jumping to surgery, there are some procedures that should be explored that do not require you to go into the operation room. These non surgical treatment options include:
- Physical therapy
- Injection-based treatments such as nerve blocks or epidural steroid injections
- Anti-inflammatory drugs
These treatment options will be considered before surgical options.
Minimally Invasive Surgical Treatments
These treatments offer relief of pain and discomfort with shorter recovery times. Some of the minimally invasive surgical procedures offered to patients at NJ Spine & Orthopedic include:
- Lumbar Fusion
- Anterior Cervical Discectomy
- Endoscopic Discectomy
- Interlaminar Spacer
- M6-C Artificial Cervical Disc
- Laser Spine Surgery
For a full list of all treatment options offered by our skilled back and spine surgeons, click here.
Contact a Kearny, New Jersey Spine and Back Doctor Today
Suffering from back pain or spine discomfort can have life-altering impacts. If back pain persists longer than three months, it is considered to be chronic. If you have been suffering from back pain for several weeks, it is time to contact a medical professional to proceed with a treatment plan that is right for you.
The dedicated back and spine specialists at NJ Spine & Orthopedic are proud to provide patients with a wide array of treatment options. Our minimally invasive surgical methods allow patients to get back to doing what they love quicker with shorter recovery times and less discomfort than traditional surgical methods. To get a free MRI review, fill out our contact form or call (866) 272-9271.