Back, neck, or spine pain can leave you feeling powerless and incapable, but fortunately there’s hope. The spine surgeons near Mt. Vernon, New York, have years of experience helping people alleviate their pain and reclaim the life they once enjoyed before their back pain. No matter your condition, the board-certified doctors at New Jersey Spine & Orthopedic will carefully assess your situation and determine a safe and healthy approach that will reduce your discomfort and set you up for a speedy recovery.
Common Procedures at NJ Spine & Orthopedic
Our neurosurgeons, neurologists, and orthopedic specialists are skilled in a variety of minimally invasive surgeries to eliminate your back pain. Some of our more common spine treatments include:
- Artificial disc replacement: A doctor replaces degenerated discs in the spinal column with an artificial implant.
- Coccygectomy: If you’re experiencing sharp pain when you bend or sit down, you may have injured your tailbone. Since you don’t need the coccyx, doctors will remove the broken tailbone.
- Endoscopic discectomy: This procedure removes a damaged disc that causes you pain in your back or neck.
- Microdiscectomy: A microdiscectomy removes pressure from your nerves and relieves discomfort in your back or legs.
- Percutaneous discectomy: This is the most minimally invasive procedure we offer; it treats disc bulges, protrusions, and smaller herniated discs.
What Are the Benefits of Minimally Invasive Surgery?
We understand that many patients wish to avoid surgery, so our specialists will always try conservative healing methods such as physical therapy and pain medication before surgery. If a doctor recommends surgery, you can be confident that our top-notch physicians will use minimally invasive techniques. It’s important to us that our patients know the difference between this type of surgery and traditional open procedures.
In open surgeries, physicians make a large incision in the body to see the operating area. Conversely, in minimally invasive surgeries, doctors only make a small incision about the size of a postage stamp and use tiny cameras and lights to operate. During the surgery, doctors use an imaging device to view the area on a large screen.
Patients opt for these surgeries because tissue and muscles are moved out of the way rather than cut, making the procedure much less stressful for the body. Some other benefits include:
- Reduced pain: Since there’s less disturbance and trauma on the body, minimally invasive surgeries are generally less painful for patients.
- Shorter recovery period: Because there are fewer incisions, your body will be able to recover faster, meaning patients will be able to return to daily activities sooner.
- Less scarring: Minimally invasive procedures require smaller cuts, so you’ll have less noticeable scars post-surgery.
- Increased accuracy: Doctors will use tiny cameras that project the image onto a large screen to perform these procedures. This provides a better view of the operating area, and the advanced instruments allow for more delicate and intricate work to be done accurately.
In general, minimally invasive surgeries offer decreased risk, shorter recovery times, less trauma to the body, and reduced pain. Using these techniques, our skilled back doctors will help improve your quality of life and reduce the pain that’s plagued you for so long.
If you’re suffering from back, neck, or spine pain and live in Mt. Vernon, New York, contact the expert back doctors at NJ Spine & Orthopedic. Whether your condition is minor or more serious, our mission is to provide the best care possible to all our patients.
Call (866) 272-9271 or complete a contact form to learn more about our services!