NJ Spine and Orthopedic is excited to support the community of Perth Amboy, New Jersey by providing access to top-notch orthopedic care. Our team of orthopedic and spine experts draws on both conservative therapies and minimally invasive procedures for treating back and neck conditions. Using the most advanced research, technology, and treatments, our doctors personalize every treatment plan to meet the unique needs of their patients. If you are struggling with back pain in Perth Amboy, New Jersey, our surgeons are here to help you tackle your pain and regain your quality of life.
What Causes Back Pain?
Each year millions of Americans experience bouts of back pain. In fact, back pain is cited as the leading cause of job-related disability and missed workdays. In short, if you are experiencing back pain, you are not alone.
Your back is made up of an intricate system of joints, muscles, nerves, bones, discs, and ligaments, all of which are susceptible to damage. When any of these structural components are injured, it can manifest as back pain. Additionally, health factors can play a big contributing factor. Excessive stress, poor diet, lack of exercise, and genetic predispositions can all contribute to back pain and complicate recovery. While back pain can arise from many conditions, some of the most common causes of back pain include:
- Herniated or slipped discs. When the inner portion of a disc protrudes through the outer layer, it results in a herniated or slipped disc. A herniated disc can compress your spinal nerves, causing severe pain and discomfort.
- Degenerative disc disease. This occurs when the discs in between your vertebrae shrink or tear, which can cause the bones in your back to rub together.
- Spinal stenosis. When the bony openings in your back begin to narrow it reduces the space in between your spinal nerves. The resulting condition is referred to as spinal stenosis. Over time, this causes the spinal nerves or cord to compress, which can result in pain and tingling.
- Pinched nerves. When too much pressure is applied to a nerve by surrounding tissues, it can become “pinched,” causing pain, tingling, or numbness in your back or down your legs.
- Accidents and injuries. Sports injuries, car accidents, and other traumatic accidents can all cause back pain.
This is not a comprehensive list and often, back pain can be the result of a combination of contributing factors. The best way to understand the root cause of your pain is to schedule an appointment with a spine specialist.
When to See a Spine Doctor in Perth Amboy
Depending on the cause of pain, back pain symptoms can range from muscle aches to localized, shooting pain. Every person’s pain is unique, meaning there can be a variety of factors at play. The complex nature of back pain makes it challenging to pinpoint the root cause(s) of pain on your own.
For some, the pain will resolve with conservative methods and lifestyle changes, such as participating in a physical therapy program and investing in an ergonomic work setup. However, other people experience chronic back pain that can persist for weeks or months without relief. In these scenarios, it’s essential to seek medical attention. Additionally, it’s important to seek prompt medical care if your back pain is accompanied by any of the following symptoms or conditions:
- Does not improve with rest and continues to cause severe discomfort
- Causes feelings of numbness or tingling in your legs
- Is accompanied by a fever, bladder problems, or unexplained weight loss
- Is the result of a serious fall or injury, such as a car accident
Back pain can also be a signal for serious underlying medical conditions, such as cancer. If you have a family history of cancer, you should schedule an appointment with a doctor at the onset of pain.
Schedule an Appointment with a Spine Doctor to Conquer Your Back Pain
At NJ Spine and Orthopedic, our team is committed to creating effective treatment plans for our patients. Using both conservative and surgical options for treatment, our orthopedic specialists provide patients with a personalized plan for back pain management and relief. Some of the cutting-edge procedures that we offer include:
These are just a handful of the treatment options we offer for back and neck pain. When you schedule an appointment with one of our specialists, they will advise you on the best treatments for your situation. You can check out our Treatment Finder for more details on the various treatments we offer.
The Best Spine Surgeons in Perth Amboy, NJ
At NJ Spine and Orthopedic, we are dedicated to treating your back pain and helping you improve your quality of life. Our team of board-certified neurologists, neurosurgeons, and orthopedic specialists work together to treat spine and back disorders using minimally invasive techniques. At NJSO, we pride ourselves on our ability to orchestrate personalized care plans and the latest advancements in technology to serve the unique needs of our patients.