NJ Spine and Orthopedic is excited to support the community of Plainfield, New Jersey by providing access to top-notch orthopedic care. At NJSO, our team understands the effects— both mental and physical—orthopedic conditions can have on a person’s life, which is why we are dedicated to helping our patients return to the quality of life they once enjoyed. Our award-winning team of spine specialists uses the latest research, technology, and advancements for neck and back pain treatment. If you are struggling with back pain in Plainfield, NJ our team is here to kickstart your road to recovery.
Is Lower Back Pain Common?
Approximately four out of five people will experience lower back pain at some point in their life. It’s cited as one of the most common reasons people go to the doctor and miss work. This is to say if you are struggling with lower back pain, you are not alone. While anyone can experience lower back pain, some people are more prone than others. Some of the risk factors that can increase the likelihood of experiencing lower back pain include:
- Individuals over 30 are much more likely to experience back pain as the disks in the spine begin to wear away with age, resulting in pain and stiffness.
- Individuals who are overweight are more likely to experience back pain, as excess weight puts extra pressure on the joints and discs in the back.
- Jobs that are very physical and require significant amounts of heavy lifting or bending can place individuals in these occupations at a higher risk for experiencing back pain.
- Lifestyle and overall health. Lifestyle factors, such as smoking, excessive drinking, or being sedentary for extended periods can place individuals at a higher chance of experiencing back pain.
- Genetic predispositions. Individuals with a family history of osteoarthritis and other diseases have a higher risk of experiencing back pain.
These are just a few factors that can make certain demographics have a higher chance of experiencing back pain.
What Causes Back Pain?
The back is composed of a complex system of structural components, such as nerves, ligaments, vertebra, discs, etc. This can make pinpointing the exact cause of back pain complicated, as there are many moving pieces involved in maintaining a healthy back. While back pain can arise from a variety of factors, some of the most common causes of back pain include:
- Strains or sprains. Strains or sprains to the tendons, muscles, or ligaments are one of the most common causes of back pain.
- Disc damage. When the discs in your back move out of place, they can place pressure on surrounding nerves, causing pain.
- Back conditions. Commonly, underlying back conditions, such as spinal stenosis, degenerative disc disease, or sciatica, are behind a person’s back pain.
- Fractures and injuries. The bones in the spine are susceptible to injury and breaks. Bad falls and car crashes are common culprits of spine fractures.
These are just a few of the common causes of back pain. Ultimately, the best way to identify the cause of your pain is to consult a skilled spine specialist.
What to do to Prevent Lower Back Pain
Luckily, there are effective preventative measures you can take to prevent back pain. Some tips for preventing lower back pain include:
- Invest in an ergonomic workstation. If your job requires you to sit for extended periods of time, the best thing you can do is invest in an ergonomic setup that properly supports your lumbar.
- Maintain a healthy weight. Eating a healthy diet and maintaining a healthy weight is essential for a healthy back.
- Exercise and stretch regularly. Following an exercise and stretching regimen is one of the best ways to increase mobility while building strength in your core and back muscles. Specifically, a strong core is crucial for maintaining a healthy back.
- Lift with your legs, not your back. If you regularly lift heavy objects, it’s essential to support the lift from your legs. Over time, using your back to lift heavy objects will make it more susceptible to injury.
These are just a few helpful tips for preventing back pain. If you are unable to treat or prevent your pain using conservative strategies, it’s best to seek medical attention from a skilled specialist.
Consult a Spine Doctor to Conquer Your Back Pain
At NJSO, our team of orthopedic specialists is dedicated to helping patients find the best treatment for their pain. Using both conservative and surgical options for pain treatment, our specialists provide our patients with a personalized, tailored plan for back pain management and treatment. Some of the cutting-edge procedures that we offer include:
- Laser spine surgery
- Complex spinal revision surgery
- Stem cell therapy
- Platelet-rich plasma injections
- Radiofrequency ablation
When you schedule an appointment with one of our specialists, they will diagnose the cause of your pain and advise you on the best course of treatment for your situation. You can check out our Treatment Finder for more details on the options you might have.
The Best Spine Surgeons in Plainfield, NJ
At NJ Spine and Orthopedic, we are dedicated to treating your back pain and helping you improve your quality of life. Our team of board-certified neurologists, neurosurgeons, and orthopedic specialists work together to treat spine and back disorders using minimally invasive techniques. At NJSO, we pride ourselves on our ability to orchestrate personalized care plans and the latest advancements in technology to serve the unique needs of our patients.