More than 31 million Americans suffer from back pain at any given time, and chronic discomfort often prevents you from doing the activities you love. When you need to ease your pain, turn to board-certified back doctors in Schenectady, New York. At NJ Spine & Orthopedic, our neurologists, neurosurgeons, and orthopedic specialists use state-of-the-art technology to help eliminate back, neck, and spine pain.
For help determining the cause of your pain, take our free Pain Assessment Tool. If you already know your condition, discover what treatment options are best for you through our Treatment Finder. Our doctors even offer free MRI scan reviews. Our award-winning team is here to help you find the relief you need.
Why Does My Back Hurt?
Back pain is one of the most common medical conditions, though it can originate from a wide variety of conditions. Some common causes include:
- Herniated or slipped discs: A slipped or herniated disc occurs when the inner disc punctures the outer ring, causing severe pain and discomfort in your lower back.
- Spinal stenosis: This condition puts stress on the spinal cord and nerves within the spine. Spinal stenosis occurs when the opening of the spinal cord begins to narrow, constricting the nerves.
- Muscle strain: This occurs when muscle or tissue stretches or tears. Symptoms may include muscle or joint pain and a limited range of motion.
- Sciatica: Your sciatic nerve runs down one or both legs and is usually caused by a herniated disc or bone spur pressing on the nerve.
- Bad posture: Maintaining a good posture is one of the simplest ways to reduce the chance of back pain forming. Keep your back straight with your head sitting evenly between your shoulders.
Keeping a healthy weight and daily exercise can also help reduce your chances of back pain forming.
Can I Treat My Back Pain at Home?
Most back pain will go away on its own within a few weeks, but there are several ways you can treat your discomfort at home.
- Light exercise: You may not want to move around a lot if your back is hurting, but it’s crucial to stay active. Try going on a 30-minute walk every day and scheduling light exercises three times a week.
- Heating pads and ice packs: Heat can help reduce stiffness, and ice can reduce swelling. Alternating between the two can reduce your discomfort overall.
- Medicine: Over-the-counter medication, such as Tylenol or Advil, can go a long way in reducing pain or swelling. Just make sure you read the label before taking medication.
Even though these are good ways to ease your pain at home, you should consult a doctor if your pain persists or increases.
When Should I See a Doctor about Back Pain?
If you sustained your injuries from an accident such as a car crash, you should seek medical treatment right away. If you haven’t been in any sort of accident, monitor for the below symptoms. Consult with your doctor if you experience:
- Numbness or tingling
- Unexplained weight loss
- Lack of control over bowel or bladder movement
- Weakness in your arms or legs
If you have a family history of medical conditions such as cancer or diabetes, you should reach out to a doctor at the onset of your pain.
Expert Spine Surgeons in Schenectady, New York
When you need to relieve your back, neck, or spine pain, turn to the back doctors at NJ Spine & Orthopedic. One of our specialists will work with you one-on-one to determine the root of your pain and develop a plan to ease your discomfort. From conservative healing methods to minimally invasive surgeries, our doctors dedicate themselves to providing the best care possible to every patient.
To learn more about our services, call (866) 272-9271 or complete a contact form. No matter your condition, our team is here to help!