Back pain is one of the most common medical issues in the United States, and symptoms can severely limit your ability to go about and enjoy life. The board-certified spine surgeons at NJ Spine & Orthopedic are dedicated to alleviating your discomfort with conservative healing methods and minimally invasive surgeries. Our goal is to get you back up and moving without risky and unnecessary procedures.
Whether you’re looking for solutions to your back pain now or still weighing your options, we at NJ Spine & Orthopedic will help guide you through the process. With a free Pain Assessment Tool, complementary MRI reviews for those who already have undergone scans, and our Treatment Finder, it’s never been easier to find the quickest path back to comfort and good health.
What Causes Back Pain?
Pain is a symptom caused by underlying conditions, and any number of issues can be the source of your discomfort.
- Osteoarthritis: The most common form of arthritis, caused by daily wear and tear or injury
- Bulging, slipped, or degenerating discs: Problems with the cushioning and tissue between vertebrae
- Muscle strain: A painful but not structural problem
- Spinal stenosis: Vertebrae putting pressure on the spinal cord and nerve roots
- Sciatica: Pressure on nerve roots that causes shooting pain down legs
- Stress: Psychosomatic back pain is real, and stress can magnify other conditions
- Scoliosis: Curvature of the spine that places burden on certain points
Fortunately, you can take measures to prevent or relieve most back pain episodes. If prevention fails, simple home treatment and proper body mechanics often will heal your back within a few weeks and keep it functional.
Easy Ways to Limit Symptoms at Home
If your back pain is still something you want to manage without professional help, or if you just want to give yourself every advantage, there are ways to alleviate symptoms yourself. Though they may not be long-term solutions if you have underlying problems, doing the little things to improve your back can go a long way.
- Improve your posture by trying to not slouch or hunch over, which aligns your back and relieves stress on certain points.
- Use cold packs for inflammation and heat packs for stiffness. This is a good way to relieve pain on the spot, and alternating hot/cold every 15 minutes is a very effective method to loosening up.
- Break up a sedentary lifestyle with simple exercises like walking, stretching, or swimming to stay pliable. Physical therapy is also a proven method.
- Try to keep weight in a sustainable range with a healthier diet to reduce the burden on your back.
When to Seek Professional Help for Your Back Pain
Back pain can go away on its own in a matter of weeks in some cases. Though the steps above may be all you need, chronic or severe back pain is a serious matter that can impact your ability to enjoy your life or work to earn a living. When your back pain reaches a certain point, calling a doctor and getting help may be the difference you need to get well. If you are experiencing the following symptoms on top of your back pain, it may be time to speak to an expert and treat these issues before they develop into bigger problems:
- Numbness or tingling in your extremities
- Bladder or bowel control problems
- Heaviness in extremities
- Unexplained weight loss
For help returning to the life you once enjoyed before your back pain, reach out to the experts at NJ Spine and Orthopedic today!
Get Help from Back Pain Specialists Near Tonawanda, NY
If back pain has become too much to manage and you need relief, the award-winning staff at NJ Spine & Orthopedic is here to help. Our team consists of orthopedic specialists, neurologists, and neurosurgeons. We are prepared to quickly diagnose the root causes of your discomfort and set you on the best track towards recovery.
Whether your condition is minor or serious, we’re dedicated to ensuring you live your life to the fullest, unencumbered by the burden of back pain. Call us today at (866) 272-9271 or complete our contact form.