No one wants back pain, but unfortunately, 31 million Americans suffer from it at any given time. When you need top-rated medical care for your back, neck, or spine pain, reach out to the spine surgeons at New Jersey Spine and Orthopedic. Our offices near Woodbridge, New Jersey will provide you with top-of-the-line treatment from an award-winning team of doctors.
For help determining the cause of your injury, take our online pain assessment. If you already know what your condition is, learn about more treatment options through our Treatment Finder. Our experts also provide free MRI scan reviews.
No matter what your condition is, you can be confident that the spine surgeons at NJ Spine & Orthopedic will help ease the pain that’s plagued you for so long.
Common Causes of Back Pain
Back pain is one of the most common medical conditions. However, there are many different reasons why your back, spine, or neck might be causing you pain. Here are some of the most common reasons.
- Muscle strain: If you feel pain in your back when you bend down to pick up an object, you most likely strained a muscle. This often occurs when you pick up something heavy and mainly use your back as support. Instead, you should list using your leg and core muscles.
- Bad posture: Maintaining a good posture is one of the simplest ways to reduce the chance of developing back pain. Keep your back up straight with your head sitting evenly on your neck.
- Arthritis: 23% of all adults have arthritis, which can cause chronic inflammation to your joints. As long as inflammation continues, you’ll continue to experience discomfort in your back.
- Disc issues: Discs sit in between your vertebrae to help absorb the shock of movement. Discs can slip, bulge, or degenerate over time.
The good news is that you can treat your back pain. In fact, most back pain will resolve itself in a few weeks. Maintaining a healthy weight and light exercise can help ease the pain.
When to See a Doctor about Back Pain
While some rest is good for back pain, it’s vital not to rest too much. Instead, try taking aspirin or stretching to reduce pain. If your pain is persistent or increases, you should consult with a doctor. Schedule an appointment right away if you experience any of the following symptoms:
- Loss of bowel or bladder movements
- Unexplained weight loss
- Numbness or tingling
Back pain could be a sign of a more serious health issue, such as cancer. If severe health conditions are prominent in your family history, you should consult a doctor once your pain begins.
Procedures Offered at NJ Spine and Orthopedic
At NJ Spine and Orthopedic, our board-certified doctors offer numerous minimally invasive surgeries. In general, minimally invasive surgeries mean shorter recovery time, less trauma to the body, and fewer risks. Some of our more common procedures include:
However, surgery is always our last option. Our doctors will always try a more conservative method to help your pain, such as physical therapy or a heat and ice treatment.
Expert Spine Surgeons in Woodbridge, New Jersey
When you need medical attention for your back, neck, or spine pain, the surgeons at New Jersey Spine and Orthopedic are here to help. Our team of neurologists, neurosurgeons, and orthopedic specialists will work with you one-on-one to create a treatment plan designed for your specific condition.
We make it our mission to provide every patient with the best possible medical care. Call (866) 272-9272 or complete a contact form to speak with a Woodbridge spine specialist today!