NJ Spine and Orthopedic is proud to serve the community of Greenburgh, New York. At NJ Spine and Orthopedic, we are committed to providing our patients with the very best in orthopedic and laser surgery treatment. When you make an appointment at one of our clinics, you will be treated by one of our skilled orthopedic or spinal experts who will offer you their full support on your road to recovery. We employ a patient-centered approach to treating back and neck pain because we know that back pain is complex and that the medical needs of each patient are different. All of our treatment plans are tailored to the specific needs of our patients. If you are struggling with back pain in Greenburgh, the surgeons at NJSO are here to help you tackle your pain and regain your quality of life.
What Are the Common Causes of Back Pain?
Your back is a complex system composed of various structural components, such as ligaments, discs, nerves, and bones. These pieces work together to provide structural support and ensure you are able to move normally. Damage to any of these pieces can cause back pain.
While back pain can occur in any of the four regions of the back, it is most commonly concentrated in the lower back or lumbar region. The lumbar is made up of five vertebrae and is responsible for supporting the majority of your upper body weight. When these vertebrae and their surrounding discs malfunction, it manifests as lower back pain. There are a wide variety of lifestyle choices, underlying conditions, and health factors that can contribute to back pain. However, some of the most common conditions that cause back pain include:
- Herniated discs. Your discs are composed of two parts: an inner portion composed of a hydrated gel substance and an outer layer composed of lamellae. A herniated disc occurs when the inner portion of a disc protrudes through its outer layer. As a result, the herniated disc can compress one of your spinal nerves, causing severe pain and discomfort.
- Degenerative disc disease. Degenerative disc disease occurs when the discs in between the vertebrae shrink or tear, causing your bones to rub together.
- Spinal stenosis. Spinal stenosis occurs when the bony openings—also referred to as foramina—in your back start to narrow. This reduces the space for your spinal nerves, which can cause them to become compressed.
- Cervical radiculopathy. Also referred to as a pinched nerve, cervical radiculopathy occurs when excessive pressure is applied to a nerve by the surrounding tissues. This can cause pain, tingling, or numbness in your back or down your legs.
- Accidents and injuries. Bad falls, car accidents, and muscle strains can all cause back pain.
If you are at a loss for what is causing your back pain, you should seek medical care from a skilled orthopedic specialist. An experienced doctor can provide you with an expert diagnosis and develop an effective treatment plan for your situation.
Seeking Medical Care for Your Back Pain in Greenburgh
At the onset of pain, you should try taking over-the-counter medications to reduce inflammation and pain. If these medications are not effective and your pain persists despite at-home remedies, it’s important to seek medical attention. Additionally, if your back pain is accompanied by any of the following symptoms or conditions, you should seek medical care immediately:
- Bladder or bowel function problems
- Loss of strength in your muscles
- Unexplained weight loss
- Pain persists for more than two weeks
- Your back pain is the result of an injury or accident
- You have known risk factors that may affect the spine, such as a family history of cancer
How Our Spine and Orthopedic Specialists Approach Back Pain Treatment
When you schedule an appointment with one of our specialists, they will take a full medical history of your back pain, perform a thorough physical examination, and in some cases, take advanced images. Once your doctor diagnoses the underlying cause of your pain, they will create a treatment plan personalized to your situation. At NJSO, We use a combination of conservative and surgical procedures to treat back and neck pain. However, the conservative, approach is always our primary strategy. Some of the cutting-edge services that we offer include:
- Artificial disc replacement
- Interlaminar spacer
- Laser spine surgery
- Spinal cord stimulation
- Radiofrequency ablation
These are just a couple of the treatment options we offer at NJSO. When you meet with one of our doctors they will advise you on the best treatments for your situation.
Award-Winning Spine Surgeons in the Greenburgh
Are you suffering from back pain and living in Greenburgh? Visit your local NJ Spine and Orthopedic branch to receive expert medical care. At our branch near Greenburgh, you’ll find highly skilled board-certified surgeons who are trained in the most advanced medical procedures for neck and back treatment. At NJSO, we pride ourselves on our ability to orchestrate personalized care plans that serve the unique needs of our patients.