Research estimates that low back pain affects up to 80% of the population at some point in life. It also reveals that spine-related disorders are among the most frequently encountered problems in clinical medicine. The World Health Organization (WHO) cites musculoskeletal disorders and the back pain they cause as the leading reasons for premature retirement. Based on their data, WHO expects the number of people suffering from lower back pain to rise in the future.
Our spines help us sit, stand, walk, lift, and do a host of other actions every day without much thought. With back pain, those everyday actions come with a cost. Every move you make costs you time, comfort, and maybe even a night’s sleep. A variety of conditions can wreak havoc on our spines and make it challenging to go about our regular lives. Spine conditions can be caused by doing something as simple as lifting a box the wrong way, or the issue could be complex, such as an underlying illness.
How Do Doctors Treat Spine Conditions?
Back doctors have numerous surgical and non-surgical methods for treating spine conditions. NJ Spine & Orthopedic has spine specialists who can diagnose your back pain and get you on the road to relief. With their expert knowledge, they will provide you with the most appropriate treatment options for your specific condition. With online pain assessment and treatment finder tools, NJ Spine can guide you through assessing your pain and finding treatment options.
The doctors at NJ Spine will always recommend conservative treatment options before surgery. Pain management treatment programs, physical therapy, and therapeutic ice or heat applications are standard methods for treating back pain and promoting healing without any surgery. Our skilled spine surgeons can perform minimally invasive spine surgery if those approaches don’t work. We offer the following minimally invasive procedures:
- Cervical Artificial Disc Replacement: one of the most advanced and successful treatments for neck pain caused by a herniated disc, bone spurs or a failed neck surgery, such as a neck (cervical) fusion
- Coccygectomy: the simple removal of the tailbone (coccyx) from the sacrum
- Endoscopic Discectomy: the most effective minimally invasive surgical treatment method for treating spinal conditions by removing only the problematic discs irritating the nerves and nerve roots
- Endoscopic Foraminotomy: used to enlarge the nerve root openings by eliminating the cause of foraminal narrowing and helps resolve the patient’s spinal impingements
- Laminoforaminotomy: a new technique created by NJSO’s Dr. Scott Katzman where a laminectomy and Foraminotomy are performed through a tiny hole
- Microdiscectomy: designed to remove pressure from the nerves and relieve back pain resulting from problems such as damaged discs or spinal bone spurs
Again, these are just options for treatments if conservative efforts don’t fully alleviate your pain.
Why Choose Our Spine Doctors from NJ Spine & Orthopedic?
Along with various treatment options, NJ Spine & Orthopedic has spine specialists who are experts in surgical and non-surgical spine treatments. Our doctors have dedicated their careers to providing the best possible treatment to their patients. They are pioneers in minimally invasive spinal surgery and can perform laser surgeries, which offer faster recovery times than regular surgical procedures.
Laser spine surgery uses light beams to create incisions to treat different spine conditions. Laser surgery has many advantages. For example, it is usually performed as an outpatient procedure that you can quickly recover from at home. This has the added benefit of saving you money as you don’t have to pay for a costly hospital stay. Also, laser technology preserves spine mobility since no screws or rods are placed in the spinal column.
Several spine surgery techniques have been updated with laser technology:
- Endoscopic discectomy
- Percutaneous cervical disc nucleoplasty
- Percutaneous laser discoplasty
- Facet ablation (also known as a rhizotomy)
Laser spine surgery has incredible recovery times and is comparable in pain to more conservative methods of back pain relief.
Expert Spine Surgeons in Hamburg, NY
Regardless of the cause, the back pain you experience can get worse without treatment. When addressing any health condition, it’s best to be aware of all of your options. NJ Spine & Orthopedic has the tools and the experts you need to get the best treatment available for your spine condition. We are local to Hamburg and can skillfully treat almost anything, from common spine conditions to complex cases.
At NJ Spine, our doctors are board-certified physicians with extensive experience in their fields. They are industry leaders with innovative approaches to treating spine disorders. We have spine experts specializing in minimally invasive back pain relief surgery. Back pain might make it difficult to go about your daily routine, but minimally invasive spine surgery can help you get back to normal faster and with less pain. For more information on what we can do for your back pain, call us at (866) 272-9271 or fill out our contact form.