NJ Spine and Orthopedic is proud to serve the Bronx community. At NJ Spine and Orthopedic, it is our goal to provide people with the very best in orthopedic and laser surgery treatment. When you schedule an appointment at one of our clinics, you will meet with one of our skilled orthopedic or spinal experts who will give you their full support on your path to recovery. Our doctors employ a patient-centered approach to treating back and neck pain. We understand that the medical needs of each patient are different, and we tailor our treatments to cater to every individual.
The surgeons and doctors at NJSO are leaders in their fields—they have dedicated their careers to ensuring patients receive the best possible treatment. Our physicians are pioneers of minimally invasive spinal surgeries and have spent decades teaching their techniques and technology to spinal and orthopedic specialists nationwide. If you are struggling with back pain in the Bronx, the surgeons at NJSO are here to help you tackle your pain and regain your quality of life.
The Common Causes of Back Pain
Your back is composed of a complex structure of ligaments, discs, nerves, and bones. All of these components work together to provide structural support to your body and enable you to move normally. When damage occurs in any of these components, it can lead to back pain.
The majority of back pain occurs in the lower back, which is located in the lumbar region of your spine. Your lumbar is composed of five vertebrae and supports the majority of your upper body weight. When any of the vertebrae or discs in your lumbar are not functioning properly, it manifests as lower back pain.
There are a variety of factors that can cause back pain. However, some of the most common causes of back pain include:
- Herniated or slipped discs. The discs in your back are composed of two parts: a soft inner portion composed of a hydrated gel substance and a tough outer layer composed of lamellae. A slipped or herniated disc occurs when the inner portion of a disc protrudes through the outer ring. In some cases, the slipped disc can compress one of your spinal nerves, causing severe pain and discomfort.
- Degenerative disc disease. Degenerative disc disease occurs when the discs in between your vertebrae shrink or tear, which causes your bones to rub together.
- Spinal stenosis. Spinal stenosis occurs when one of the bony openings—also referred to as foramina—in your back begins to narrow, reducing the space for your spinal nerves. Over time, the narrowing can cause your spinal nerves or cord to compress, which can cause pain and tingling.
- Cervical radiculopathy. Commonly referred to as a pinched nerve, cervical radiculopathy occurs when too much pressure is applied to a nerve by the surrounding tissues, such as the bones, cartilage, or tendons. As a result, you may feel pain, tingling, or numbness in your back or down your legs.
- Accidents and injuries. Bad falls, car accidents, and muscle strains can all cause back pain.
The best way to get to identify the underlying cause of your back pain is to consult with a skilled spine specialist.
Seeking Medical Care for Your Back Pain in the Bronx
Most back pain will resolve within a few weeks. When your back pain starts, you should try taking an over-the-counter medication—such as aspirin or ibuprofen—to reduce the inflammation and pain. However, if your back pain is accompanied by any of the following symptoms or conditions, you should seek medical care immediately:
- Bladder or bowel function problems
- Loss of strength in your muscles
- Unexplained weight loss
- Pain persists for more than two weeks
- Your back pain is the result of an injury or accident
- You have known risk factors that may affect the spine, such as a family history of cancer
How Our Spine and Orthopedic Specialists Approach Back Pain Treatment
At NJ Spine and Orthopedic, we are dedicated to helping our patients find the treatment plan best suited for their neck and back pain. We understand that successful treatment plans must be personalized to each patient’s specific symptoms and medical history.
When you schedule an appointment with one of our doctors, they will take a full medical history of your back pain and perform a thorough physical examination. Once your doctor identifies the underlying cause of your pain, they will devise a treatment plan specific to your situation. Our doctors use a combination of conservative and surgical procedures to treat back and neck pain. However, the conservative, minimally invasive approach is always our primary strategy. Some of the cutting-edge services that we offer include:
- Artificial disc replacement
- Interlaminar spacer
- Laser spine surgery
- Spinal cord stimulation
- Radiofrequency ablation
These are just a few of the many treatments we offer at NJSO. When you meet with one of our doctors, they will advise you on the best treatment for your back pain.
Award-Winning Spine Surgeons in the Bronx
Are you suffering from back pain and living in the Bronx? Visit your local NJ Spine and Orthopedic branch to receive expert medical care. At our branch in the Bronx, you’ll find highly skilled board-certified surgeons who are trained in the most advanced medical procedures for neck and back treatment. At NJSO, we pride ourselves on our ability to orchestrate personalized care plans that serve the unique needs of our patients.
To schedule an appointment with one of our skilled spine experts, call (646) 809-3755 or fill out our online contact form.