Are you experiencing back, neck, or spine pain? If so, you’re not alone. Experts say that nearly 80% of the population will experience it at some point in their lives. When you need to alleviate your pain, turn to New Jersey Spine & Orthopedic. Our team of neurologists, neurosurgeons, and orthopedic specialists will work with you one-on-one to get to the root of your pain and create a treatment plan specific to your conditions.
Common Causes of Back Pain
You should know that back pain is a symptom, not a condition, and it can come from various medical conditions. Some common causes of back pain include:
- Spinal stenosis: This condition occurs when the opening of the spinal cord begins to narrow and constricts the nerves. It puts stress on the spinal cord and nerves within the spine.
- Herniated or slipped discs: A herniated or slipped disc occurs when the inner disc punctures through the outer ring, causing severe pain and discomfort in your lower back.
- Sciatica: The sciatic nerve runs down your lower back and into both legs. Sciatica is when a disc or bone spur puts pressure on the nerve. It typically only affects one side of the body.
- Bulging discs: Discs may bulge when the soft center pushes through a crack in the exterior casing.
- Degenerative disc disease: As we age or suffer from back injuries, deteriorating spinal conditions such as arthritis can affect our daily lives with constant pain when moving.
When Should I See a Doctor Regarding Back Pain?
Most back pain will go away on its own within a few weeks. In the meantime, make sure to rest and do light stretching to ease the pain. It’s important not to lay in bed all day or do rigorous exercises as it can worsen your pain. However, you should monitor your symptoms. If you notice any of the following, consult a doctor.
- Unexplained weight loss
- Numbness or tingling
- Heavy feeling in your feet
You should also seek medical attention following an accident. You might feel fine, but a skilled back doctor can diagnose any internal injuries.
How to Treat Back Pain without Surgery
We understand that many patients wish to avoid surgery, if possible, which is why our specialists will always try more conservative healing methods to eliminate your pain. Some ways we do this include:
- Physical therapy: Exercise is a common way to treat back pain. It’s also one of the first treatments our doctors will try. Not all exercises will work for everyone, but some of the most common strategies include retraining your posture and strengthening your core muscles.
- Heating pads and ice packs: Alternating between heating pads and ice packs can go a long way in reducing back, neck, or spine pain. Heat can reduce any stiffness, while ice can help with swelling.
- Diet: Diets high in fat and sugar are highly inflammatory and can put unneeded weight on your back and spine. Maintaining a healthy weight can reduce that pressure and alleviate pain in the process.
If our doctors deem surgery as the best way to reduce your pain, we will use the latest techniques in minimally invasive procedures. Benefits to this type of surgery include less pain, shorter recovery, and increased accuracy.
Experienced Back Doctors in Bayonne, New Jersey
If you’re looking for a clinic with a patient-centered approach to treat back, neck, or spine pain, choose the specialists at NJ Spine & Orthopedic. Our offices near Bayonne, New Jersey, offer top-rated medical treatment from a group of award-winning back doctors. We will work with you one-on-one to eliminate the pain that’s plagued you for so long.
Call (866) 272-9271 or complete our contact form today. No matter your condition, our team is ready to help you!